All WCS Grades 9-12 students have had the opportunity to participate in mental health learning modules to support mental health literacy, learnings and understandings. Students will be receiving certificates for completion of these mental health literacy modules in our school.
Starting in the 2018-2019 school year, all schools in the division are infusing the Mental Health Curriculum into grades 9-12. This is in response to increased levels of anxiety, depression, and suicide attempts in Saskatchewan. The Ministry of Education has mandated a Mental Health Infusion program across the province.
SECPSD Mental Health Curriculum
The Mental Health Curriculum has been designed to support the improvement of both teachers’ and students’ mental health literacy. The mental health curriculum has six modules as follows:
- The Stigma of Mental Illness
- Understanding Mental Health and Mental Illness
- Information on Specific Mental Illness
- Experiences of Mental Illness and the Importance of Family Communication
- Seeking Help and Finding Support
- The Importance of Positive Mental Health