Starting in September 2016, SECPSD students will have the opportunity to enroll in Power Engineering 20L and Power Engineering 30L.
The Power Engineering courses are a partnership between Sask. Power and Saskatchewan school divisions. Students will have the opportunity to write their Class 5 Power Engineering Exam from TSASK once they have successfully completed the 20L and 30L Power Engineering courses.
The courses involve 50 - 75 hours of theory and coursework. This will be delivered through three textbooks as well as online content through PSSD Virtual School.
The students will also spend 50 hours doing work-study at a Saskpower Plant and through the Mobile Steam Lab Training Unit.
Prairie South School Division Responsibilities
- Register students in online courses
- Assign and deliver textbooks
- Update and deliver theory component
- Deliver parent information session
- Schedule work study components: track log books, insurance, trailer locations
- Provide teacher to work with Power Engineer in portable lab: 5-10 days per course and cover expenses incurred by Prairie South teacher
- Arrange testing dates with TSASK for 5th Class Certification and submit paperwork
- Provide and monitor work-study log books for steam time
- Continue to market pathways with Regional Colleges and Sask Polytechnic
- Registration: $500.00 includes textbook resources + $25 Shipping Fee [Total: $525]
- Require CSA approved steel toe work boots
- Transportation to work study
- Registration for 5th Power Engineering certification: approx. $100.00 (if desired)
South East Cornerstone Public School Division Responsibilities
- Market student registration in March/April prior to school registration
- Provide work-site visit to the plant within the first twenty-five hours to meet (Workers Compensation Board and Ministry of Education MOU)
- Provide contact person to oversee set up for portable-lab location
- Provide location for portable lab [Overhead Door with water (garden hose hookup), drain, 3-prong welder electrical outlet 30A/240V, level surface]
- Student costs and insurance to travel to work-study
- Schedule students into a regular Semester I course for Power Engineering 20L and a Semester II course for Power Engineering 30L.
- Provide a Cooperating Teacher to supervise students working on their online class, monitoring student progress, supervising exams, communicating with the online teacher.
- Return textbooks when course is complete
How Do I Apply?
- Complete a Power Engineering Student Application form available from your Career Counselor or Principal.
- Two of your teachers must complete Teacher Recommendation forms for you that will accompany your application. Career Counsellors and Principals have these as well.
- Email your Application form and Teacher Recommendation forms to Dan Hardern - email@example.com
- Course tuition fees are due in September.
For More Information
- SECPSD Power Engineering 20L 30L - Application Package (April 2017) - PDF Version